Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Update from the Hospital

Good Morning,
  I'm sitting here in the hospital while Harper Kate is resting.  We got to the hospital yesterday morning, checked in and headed back to the room where we met with her surgeon.  We had time to be with just her, comforting her, prayed with her and then got her dressed to head back to surgery.  Her little gown had spaceships on it and tied in the back.  Her surgery nurse came to get her, but she allowed me to carry her all the way back to the doors.  I placed her on the bed, and then they wheeled her back.  That was the hardest part of the entire day.  Placing HK on that bed and then walking away hurt my heart.  I had tears in my eyes, but I was able to contain myself and walked back to our room to wait for our moms to arrive.
  My mom & Jarod's mom both drove from Birmingham to sit with us, their kids, while we waited.  I think without them Jarod & I would have been nervous wrecks together... :)  About an hour into the surgery, they called to let us know that everything was going just fine.  The anesthesia had gone perfectly and they were beginning the surgical part.  It would last about an hour itself. While waiting we watched a video on the Mic-key tube.  Quite dated, but helpful I suppose. hahaha... After a couple hours, they called to let us know surgery was over, it had gone well and she was headed to recovery.  The surgeon came up to let us know that it couldn't have gone any better.  She would be in recovery, then would come up to the room and meet us there. 
  Recovery took a little longer than normal because Harper Kate woke up kind of croupy sounding so she required a breathing treatment meaning they had to watch her to make sure she was ok.  Good grief, by the time she got to the room with us I was DYING TO SEE HER.  I heard her crying as she was being wheeled down the hall toward the room.  I ran out there and walked with her the rest of the way.
  Hearing your precious baby cry, not because she's mad, but because she is so uncomfortable and there isn't any way to make it better will rip your heart to pieces.  I kept telling my mom, I just want to fix it, but there wasn't anything we could do but hold her.  Jarod was able to get her calm for a little bit later on when she could open her eyes.  Bless her heart, she would go to sleep, then open her eyes, not know where she was and get scared and cry again.  It's a sad sad process. 
  Last night was NOT the best night of sleep, but Harper Kate awoke this morning happier and a little more comfortable.  We are still on IV fluids, and haven't yet moved to pedialyte or formula yet, so my anticipation is that we will be here another day/evening. 
  No pictures to show yet, but when she fully recovers and shows her little personality again they will be coming!  I couldn't have asked for any more thoughts and prayers.  My little angel came through her first (and hopefully last) surgery without trouble and is on her way to recovery.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love, thoughts and prayers over the past 48 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby and poor mama. So so glad that it is over and went so well. Praying for a quick recovery and that you never have to go through that again!